Cilantro, cilantro, cilantro! Is an herb garden complete without a cilantro plant? Not mine, and the only challenge I have is letting it grown back in-between meals. Now there are some folks out there, including JC (that’s Julia Child for anyone wondering) who don’t like cilantro or think it tastes like soap but for me it’s a tasty surprise in all sorts of dishes!
I immediately start thinking about salsa ideas when picking fresh cilantro and can there be a better combination than this, well yes there can be, but this one is pretty fine! Mangos, avocados and cilantro, yes please.
I’m calling this a salad-sa not because I like to make up words (well actually I do) but mostly because it’s so diverse. Try it salsa style with chips, over mixed greens with grilled chicken as a salad, as a side or topper for grilled pork chops, and the list goes on.
The list of add ons for this salad-sa also goes on and I’ll feature some variations as the summer progresses. If you feel like branching out before that try adding in some corn or black beans or, if you’ve found something that works perfectly added in, email me so I can try it too!
- Red onion - ½ cup
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- Lime - zest of ½ lime and juice of ½ lime
- Avocados - 2
- Mango - 1
- Cilantro - 2 tablespoons of chopped
- Finely chop red onion place in a shallow bowl
- Pour balsamic vinegar over onions and stir. Let sit for 20 minutes stirring regularly so all onions are coated in balsamic
- While onions are sitting in vinegar peel and chop mango and avocado into small cubes
- Put in medium size bowl
- Add cilantro, lime zest and lime juice into bowl and stir
- Pour red onions and balsamic vinegar into bowl and stir