Pumpkins are a favorite, and too tasty for us to enjoy only in October! With holiday cooking wrapped the festive smell of something baking in the oven is being missed. This easy bread will be a treat for your nose and your taste buds. It’s spice pumpkin because the flavor is more spiced (there are 4 spices in there) then pumpkin making it a nice dessert or snack with a cup of tea on a chilly day.
Preheat the oven to 350°. Combine the first eight dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and salt) and mix thoroughly. Then add the brown and white sugar and mix again.
next & last
One draw back of it not being October is the availability of fresh pumpkins to make puree so if you can’t find one to make your own puree or want to speed up this recipe I’ve used Libby’s 100% pumpkin puree and it was great! Also, I used skim milk but any milk you have will work.
Add to the bowl the milk, oil, vanilla, eggs and pumpkin puree. Thoroughly mix all ingredients with a spoon and set aside. Grease the two bread pans and pour half of the batter into each pan. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of each loaf.
fancy pans & freezing
You can use a traditional loaf pan for these breads but if you have an interesting pan or round oven safe baking dish these breads bake well any shape or size just adjust the baking time as needed. I tried out a wavy round pan and the bread was so pretty I didn’t want to cut it. Plus since this easy recipe makes two loaves you can keep one and wrap the second one as a token for the host of the next gathering you’re invited to.
Want to keep them both for yourself? After they’ve cooled, the loaves can be wrapped up and frozen. Once defrosted the bread is just as tasty as the day it was baked.
- flour - 3½ cups
- baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- baking soda - ½ teaspoon
- allspice - 1 teaspoon ground
- cinnamon - 1 teaspoon ground
- nutmeg - 1 teaspoon ground
- ground cloves - ½ teaspoon
- salt - ½ teaspoon
- brown sugar - ⅓ cup
- granulated sugar - 1 cup
- fat-free milk - ¾ cup
- canola oil - ⅓ cup
- vanilla extract - 2 teaspoons
- eggs - 2
- pumpkin puree - 1 can (15-ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine first eight ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, salt) in a large bowl and gently stir with a spoon
- Mix in brown and white sugar
- Add to the dry ingredients the milk, oil, vanilla extract, eggs and pumpkin puree and stir with a spoon until thoroughly mixed
- Grease two pans
- Pour half of batter into each pan
- Bake 40 minutes or until a cake tester is clean when inserted into the center of the bread