I enjoy impromptu gatherings and believe wholeheartedly in the saying the more the merrier! But the key for me to enjoying a spontaneous dinner (or lunch) is not getting caught without something tasty to serve. If you’re thinking uhhhh is she nuts and the idea of a popup dinner party makes you cringe maybe this little dollop will help! I keep a flank steak (or 2) in the freezer for just these occasions. Why flank steak? It’s easy to freeze (it’s flat so it’s not too bulky for even a NYC freezer), defrosts quickly, can be marinated for 2 hours or 4 or 5 or 6, you get the gist, cooks quickly and when it’s marinated following this recipe it’ll get great reviews every time you serve it!
The ingredients for this marinade are relatively simple and things you’ll likely have in your cabinet or refrigerator. Even better is the marinade takes about 5 minutes to make if you use a food processor (closer to 10 minutes if you’re chopping and zesting by hand). Combine all the marinade ingredients together and once it’s mixed thoroughly pour it over the flank steak and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. If you have more time to let the steak sit in the marinade the flavor will get even better. For dollop followers you know ziploc is king for marinades in my book but a baking dish will work OK for this too just remember to turn it a few times so all sides marinate equally.
cooking & serving
BBQ-ing is the preferred cooking method, especially in summer, but if don’t have a BBQ, cooking this in the oven, broiler or in a pan on the stove works well too. Once the steak is cooked to your preferred temperature remove the steak from the heat and let it sit for 5-8 minutes.
After the meat has had a chance to sit carve it against the grain into thin slices. I served this flank steak with ratatouille and a salad of arugula, cherry tomatoes and shaved parmesan tossed with olive oil and sea salt and it was a quick, easy and tasty dinner!
- Soy sauce - ⅓ cup
- Vegetable oil - ½ cup
- Balsamic vinegar - ¼ cup
- Garlic cloves - 10 peeled (chopped if you're not using a food processor)
- Ginger - 1½" long piece peeled (zested if you're not using a food processor)
- Honey - 2 tablespoons
- Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Flank steak - 3 lbs
- Peel the garlic and ginger
- Chop the garlic and ginger if you are not using a food processor
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until thoroughly mixed
- Put flank steak in gallon size a ziploc bag
- Pour in marinade
- Seal bag removing as much air as possible
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours turning a few times to ensure meat marinates evenly
- Cook on grill turning at least once until meat is cooked to desired temperature (about 6-10 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the meat and desired temperature)
- Let meat sit for about 5-8 minutes after removing from grill before carving
- Carve steak against the grain into thin slices